Lonely Juanita, North Dakota
Juanita was founded along the Great Northern Railroad Line in 1911, about fifteen miles northeast of Carrington, North Dakota. It was originally named “Wanitah”, a Native American word of unknown meaning, but later renamed by town planners with the Spanish spelling. It reached a peak poulation of 150 in 1920. When we visited in 2004, it appeared to have a population around five to ten.
Juanita did have a fairly impressive stone school building, however it appeared to be in use by one of the town’s residents and we chose not to photograph it for privacy’s sake. There was also a big dog running loose which made our visit a quick one.
There were quite a few empty homes in Juanita and the landscape is severely overgrown. From one home, only the chimney was visible through the trees. Other than the homes, the school building was the only structure still standing in Juanita.
Do you have an update on what’s going on in Juanita these days? Let us know in the comments.
Photos by Troy Larson and Terry Hinnenkamp, copyright Sonic Tremor Media