Our Lunds Valley archive is spilling over with stuff we’ve never posted before. These shots were captured in May of 2010 in Lunds Valley, Mountrail County, about 60 miles northwest of Minot.
These photos of Christmas in Sanish, North Dakota come from Staci Roe, who came upon them in a hospital rummage sale and saved them from the trash. They are from the estate of Marvin L Knapp and the photographer is unknown. Photos of the construction of the footings for Four Bears Bridge were in the same collection. These photos were taken almost seven decades ago, which means all but the youngest of… Read More
Mighty rivers require mighty bridges and several impressive examples have spanned the North Dakota stretch of the Missouri River. The river valley near the former town of Sanish has been home to several. First, the Verendrye Bridge, a steel truss bridge completed in 1927, crossed the Missouri at Sanish. In 1934, the first bridge to be known as Four Bears Bridge was built downstream near the town of Elbowoods. They served North… Read More
Old Sanish, North Dakota came to an end in 1953, when the river valley it occupied for over half a century became the bottom of North Dakota’s newest reservoir, Lake Sakakawea. Sanish’s residents left for higher ground, as did the residents of other low-lying towns like Van Hook and Elbowoods.
It’s always a thrill to see enthusiastic residents get involved in saving historically and culturally significant places in their communities, but in North Dakota’s vanishing small towns, the losses frequently outnumber the wins by a significant margin. It’s something we’ve seen time and again in over ten years of photographing North Dakota. What follows is our personal list, by no means exhaustive, of ten significant North Dakota places that have unfortunately lost… Read More
Coulee is a tiny unincorporated town in the far northeast corner of Mountrail county, about 40 miles northwest of Minot. Our Savior’s Scandinavian Lutheran Church, a few miles west of Coulee, is on the National Register of Historic Places. Unfortunately, we didn’t find out about it until after our visit. We’ll get it next time. Coulee is actually the second town to wear the name. There was another Coulee in Pembina County,… Read More
Wylora Christianson submitted the following photo of Manitou School. The town of Manitou was established in 1887 in Mountrail County. It was a small, rural settlement near White Earth, or about 11 miles west of Stanley. Peak population was 43 residents. Today, this school is all that remains, just west of the intersection at lat/long 48.332991,-102.634082
Wylora Christianson submitted the following photo of the Lunds Valley School as it appeared years ago, long before it burned. To see photos from our visit to Lunds Valley, click here. CLICK PHOTO TO ENLARGE
What’s in a name? In a place like this, maybe everything. Our initial interest in Lostwood was aroused by the name… Lostwood. It brings to mind images of an old-fashioned, silent town, lost in a haunting copse of elms and knotty oaks; a place where time moves slowly and the residents wouldn’t have it any other way. With a name like Lostwood, we felt compelled to visit and see for ourselves what remains…. Read More