Crystal Springs was founded in the Dakota Territory in 1873 and the Post Office opened with the name “CRYSTAL SPRINGS” in 1884–named for nearby Crystal Springs Lakes. We were cruising west on the interstate one day and the Crystal Springs school, perched beautifully atop a hill along the highway, practically jumped out at us, and we stopped to get a few shots. Now arriving at Crystal Springs, North Dakota.
Sargent County Harlem is a town that no longer exists. We believe this former voting precinct building is the only structure left from what was once Harlem. This building stands right near a farmer’s home and he is farming the land on all sides. According to North Dakota Place Names by Douglas Wick, Harlem was once at the terminus of the Milwaukee Railroad line from Andover, South Dakota and had 225 residents… Read More
About 60 miles southwest of Wahpeton, in Sargent County, stands the ghost town known as Straubville, North Dakota. It was named for the first settler, Joseph W. Straub, who donated ten acres for the town site, in 1883. A Great Northern Railroad station was founded in 1886, and population peaked at 40. This was a place we visited early in our Ghosts of North Dakota adventures, in 2005, and it was one… Read More
Temple was founded in Williams County along the Great Northern Railroad line. The post office was moved here from Haarstad in 1908. The significance of the town name is unknown.
Juanita was founded along the Great Northern Railroad Line in 1911, about fifteen miles northeast of Carrington, North Dakota. It was originally named “Wanitah”, a Native American word of unknown meaning, but later renamed by town planners with the Spanish spelling. It reached a peak poulation of 150 in 1920. When we visited in 2004, it appeared to have a population around five to ten. Juanita did have a fairly impressive stone… Read More
Griggs County Vacant as of 10/04 Mose, North Dakota is a true ghost town in Griggs County, about forty miles southeast of Devils Lake. It was also known as Florence and Lewis prior to 1904. On Halloween 1904, it was renamed Mose in honor of a local lumberyard employee. It’s peak population is said to have been 25. Mose was particularly hard hit by a tornado, hence the sign at the entrance… Read More
Sanger, North Dakota is located in Oliver County, on the west bank of the Missouri River. It was a true ghost town when we visited in September of 2004, but that would change by 2013. Sanger was also known as Bentley, ND when it was founded in 1879, named after the town doctor W. Bentley, who was also a member of the territorial legislature. Bentley was considered the county seat until 1884, when the… Read More
Arena was founded with a rural post office January 23rd, 1906. It is said to have had a peak population of 150 around 1920, but had withered to 35 residents by 1930. It is now abandoned. The photo shown left is the former Arena School, photo contributed by Stephen Berg. As of our visit in 2004, the school was gone. This was the only photo we’d been able to locate of the school for… Read More
Ghosts of North Dakota, Volume 2 is an 88 page, hardcover, full-color book featuring some of the best photos from the Ghosts of North Dakota project — photos of ghost towns, near-ghost towns, and abandoned places across the state of North Dakota, plus comments from the photographers, historical tidbits, and more. Places in this book include Manfred, Sims, Medora, Brantford, the North Dakota Badlands, Bantry, Lucca, Minot Air Force Station, and much more. See… Read More
Ghosts of North Dakota, Volume 3 is a 110 page, hardcover, full-color coffee table book featuring some of the best photos from the Ghosts of North Dakota project — photos of ghost towns, near-ghost towns, and abandoned places across the state of North Dakota, plus comments from the photographers, historical tidbits, and more. Places in this book include Antler, Marmarth, Arena, Sanish, Haymarsh, and Bathgate. Volume 3 also includes a 19 page… Read More