Bucyrus, ND is along Highway 12 in southwestern North Dakota, east of Bowman. It was founded in 1907 as Wolf Butte, and was also known as Dolan for a time. Bucyrus is just down the road from some other places we’ve visited, like Gascoyne, Haley and Griffin. US Census Data for Bucyrus Total Population by Place 1920 – 113 1930 – 124 1940 – 117 1950 – 111 1960 – 60 1970… Read More
We originally visited Bentley in May of 2007. See the pictures from our previous visit. In August of 2009, Ghosts of North Dakota visitor Kelsey Rusch visited Bentley and discovered the church steeple has collapsed. She submitted this photo.
Hettinger County Inhabited as of 5/07 The town of Bentley, ND was founded in 1906, fifteen miles south of its present location. In 1915 the town was rebuilt at the present location. Bentley should not be confused with Sanger in Oliver county, a town which was also named Bentley for a time. At one time it may have been home to as many as 200 North Dakotans, but the 1960 census indicated… Read More
Fillmore, ND is in Benson County, about 20 miles SE of Rugby, the geographical center of North America. Fillmore reportedly had 150 citizens in 1920, but that declined to 74 by 1960 and today Fillmore is home to only two part-time residents. When we arrived, we were surprised to find Fillmore was one fo the best North Dakota ghost towns we’d run across so far. There is a defined Main Street in… Read More
Pierce County Inhabited as of 4/06 Silva was founded in 1912 as a Soo Line Railroad settlement. It reportedly reached a peak population of 125 in 1920 and has been on the decline ever since. Silva’s most famous former resident would be Julius Thompson who at one time was the world’s tallest man at eight feet, seven inches. Thompson died in 1955. In the late nineties, North Dakota State University did a… Read More
Crystal Springs was founded in the Dakota Territory in 1873 and the Post Office opened with the name “CRYSTAL SPRINGS” in 1884–named for nearby Crystal Springs Lakes. We were cruising west on the interstate one day and the Crystal Springs school, perched beautifully atop a hill along the highway, practically jumped out at us, and we stopped to get a few shots. Now arriving at Crystal Springs, North Dakota.
Steele County Inhabited as of 10/04 Blabon, ND is in Steele County, not far from another ghost town on this site, Sherbrooke, ND. Blabon is the first ghost town we ever investigated. It is presently inhabited by approximately 8 to 12 people. As many as three houses were clearly occupied and one trailer home had a satellite dish on the side. Blabon was founded in 1896, named for Joseph Ward Blabon, a… Read More
Temple was founded in Williams County along the Great Northern Railroad line. The post office was moved here from Haarstad in 1908. The significance of the town name is unknown.
Arena was founded with a rural post office January 23rd, 1906. It is said to have had a peak population of 150 around 1920, but had withered to 35 residents by 1930. It is now abandoned. The photo shown left is the former Arena School, photo contributed by Stephen Berg. As of our visit in 2004, the school was gone. This was the only photo we’d been able to locate of the school for… Read More
Ghosts of North Dakota, Volume 3 is a 110 page, hardcover, full-color coffee table book featuring some of the best photos from the Ghosts of North Dakota project — photos of ghost towns, near-ghost towns, and abandoned places across the state of North Dakota, plus comments from the photographers, historical tidbits, and more. Places in this book include Antler, Marmarth, Arena, Sanish, Haymarsh, and Bathgate. Volume 3 also includes a 19 page… Read More